Monday, August 31, 2009

Vacation Preview: Yarn Store Visits


With packing nearly complete, my anticipation is growing for my early morning departure on Wednesday morning for New York City. I am to spend 3 days in Manhattan, and then board the Caribbean Princess in Brooklyn and take in the sights of Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax and St. John. We have theater tickets, museum visits planned, and our favorite stops in neighborhoods such as SoHo and Greenwich Village all lined up. As I review the details of our sojourn, I am excited about many things - but high on that list of anticipated diversions are the local yarn store visits on my list!

In Manhattan, I will visit Purl SoHo, at 137 Sullivan Street. My first visit to Purl was this past May, where I purchased two skeins of beautiful hand-spun, kettle-dyed Manos del Uruguay which I knit into a beautiful scarf in double moss stitch. I'm looking forward to my upcoming visit in search of the perfect yarn to make hand-knit holiday gifts.

Next on my list is also in Manhattan - The Lion Brand Yarn Studio, at 34 W. 15th Street. I was just perusing its website and seeing all of the fun, interactive elements of this unique retail establishment. I have enjoyed knitting a few other projects with Lion Brand and look forward to seeing what they offer at their Manhattan studio.

And, based on the brevity of our walking tour of Halifax, Nova Scotia, I'm also looking forward to having time to visit to LK Yarns at the historic Hydrostone Market. Their website is intriguing, and I'm hoping to find something unique to bring back to the US.

I am quickly realizing that some of the joy I get from knitting certain projects has to do with the story about where I purchased the yarn. What city did I visit? What unique shop did I stumble upon? What kind yarn store owner took the time to show me a brand new shipment of cashmere?

I'm looking forward to new experiences, new memories on which to reflect, and, most certainly, more yarn for my stash!

Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment