Sunday, August 9, 2009

What defines a personal passion?


I have historically been one to go through "phases" of interest. I get intrigued by a topic or activity or concept and I will buy books, watch videos, do other research to take a quick dive into details on the topic. And then, after a few weeks (to up to two months) the topic changes, the interests evolve and I'm typically off to the next "phase."

That was, until I discovered knitting.

I first started knitting in October of 2008, and seriously since January 2009. That was 8 months ago - and I'm still here. I'm still buying yarn. I'm still making projects. I'm still learning something new every time I pick up needles. And, in the past 8 months, I've determined that there are a few things that can illuminate what one's true passions are, what differentiates a "phase" from a committed pursuit to a particular craft.


Losing track of time

I know knitting is a passion of mine because I lose all track of time when I'm doing it. Yesterday alone I spent over 8 hours knitting. I was at one of my local yarn stores (with fabulous people like Barbara and Karen and Karen's daughter, Kristen, who does amazing embroidery work) from 11.30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. I had lost all concept of time - and in fact, didn't care what time it was. I was doing something I enjoy. I was learning. I was spending time with fun people. Which leads me to the next identifier of a person's passion - community.

Not simply an act, but also a community

I've never been involved in something before for which such an incredible community exists to support the pursuit. From the great sense of community I've discovered online at Ravelry.com to the knit nights and budding friendships I have come to look forward to every week, having a community of fellow knitters and fiber artists has helped me learn and has continued to make knitting interesting for me each and every day.

Our human need to create and to give

I think one other thing that really gives me a lot of energy with knitting is that, in a fairly reasonable amount of time (depending on the project), I am able to take yarn and sticks and make something beautiful. From something simple like a waffle-patterned dishcloth to something more complex like a sock or even a Christmas stocking, I get a kick out of seeing what I end up. I find entertainment in seeing how unique yarns end up looking when they are knit into a fabric. I love the act of being able to create something with my own hands.

That joy doesn't stop with the act of creating those items but also when I make those items and give them to others. Some have yet to receive knitted items because they are going to be holiday gifts. Others have enjoyed little "just because" gifts along my knitting learning journey.

It not only gives me enjoyment to make something, I also enjoy seeing the joy those items can bring to other people.


Whatever you may find yourself doing, you might also discover that these criteria match your definition of what makes something a personal passion...and I hope that everyone has the opportunity to discover what that is for themselves at some point in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment