Saturday, August 29, 2009

INTERVIEW: Anne Jones, Shop Owner & Yarn Enthusiast


We always remember firsts. Our first finished object. Our first touch of camel. And, the first yarn store we ever visited. My first yarn store was The Black Sheep located on Mills Avenue in Orlando, and recently I had the
opportunity to talk with the shop's owner, Anne Jones, about her shop and my favorite topic - yarn!

"The Black Sheep has been in business for 35 years, and I am the 3rd owner," said Anne. "It started out as a needlepoint and cross-stitch store - which is how I first became a customer. Three years ago, I became the owner."

This charming shop that feels more like a home than a retail establishment features an open front room with a welcoming work table and walls banked with sprays of color in thread and hand-painted needlepoint canvases. The secret oasis for which I visit most is toward the back of the shop, a room with black shelving and nooks holding a variety of yarns from near and far.

I asked Anne how she goes about selecting the yarns she offers to her customers. "First, I listen to customer comments. It's important for me to know what they are looking for and what interests them. I also have to consider the amount of investment required by the manufacturer. I have to make sure I have the display space for the yarn I buy. And then, of course, it also comes down to what I like!"

Anne shared that just after taking ownership of the shop, her first foray into buying yarn was a learning experience. Because Bouton D'Or spent a great deal of time sharing information and expertise about yarn, Anne offers a notable sampling of Bouton D'Or at The Black Sheep. "I also like Fiesta Cottonista, Cashmere - the soft stuff. Being a new great grandmother to twins, I'm into baby yarns so you'll see a good selection of those in the shop these days."

Anne explained that many yarn manufacturers are changing their policies around minimum orders so that local yarn storeowners are able to feature unique designer yarns without having to make sizable, and sometimes risky, investments.

I wondered how the current economy has impacted the fiber arts. "The economy has actually helped this industry, I think," Anne reflected. "You can put in a small amount of work and yield a great end product, it's something you can do to keep sane, and since people aren't traveling as much - they have something productive to do with their time."

Anne pointed out the challenge the Internet has posed for small retailers, immense selections of yarn can be found there and sometimes prices are cheaper because of the volumes they can afford. The Black Sheep continues to do well because Anne and her staff provide great service and take the time to build relationships with their customers. I was encouraged as I browsed the store waiting for my conversation with Anne to begin, noting a constant stream of folks in search of fiber coming into the shop.

With her many responsibilities as shop owner, I wondered what creative outlet Anne is enjoying these days. "My crafting history is heavy on needlepoint and stained glass - but I am working on my knitting. I recently knit hats for my great grandchildren out of Tilli Tomas Beaded Merino and I also made some other hat-shaped items that I'm going to felt and turn into coasters or containers. I also want to make baby sweaters - for obvious reasons!"

Anne admitted that even though she may not have as much time to devote to her crafty pursuits as she would like, she gets a great deal of energy and inspiration when her creative customers find products in her store that get them sparked and excited about their next needlepoint, crochet or knitting project.

Anne offered some valuable tips for those new to the fiber arts scene. "Pick small projects to start with. Your investment in yarn is not great, small projects are often fairly easy to do, and you can finish quickly. Finishing your first few projects in a reasonable time period gives you confidence to keep going. It's energizing and inspiring and leads you on to more challenging projects."

My last question to Anne is something we should all be thinking about: "Why is it important to buy quality yarn?"

"You can actually end up spending more on cheaper yarn," Anne said. "Many bargain yarns do not wear well - and they actually get stiff and unwearable with age. For example, if the acrylic you are using has a noise to it, a sort of squeak, it probably is not going to be as enjoyable to knit with and its wearability may be questionable. But there are quality acrylics you can buy that are more user friendly and don't feel anything like what you would expect. Berroco acrylic has no squeak and is quite soft."

"Quality yarn gives you so many unique options, is more fun to knit with, is easier to knit with, and you are able to create items that wear well and last for years to come."

In addition to The Black Sheep being the first local yarn store I visited, my conversation with Anne is also the first interview I've conducted for my blog, Brian Knits! - One man's love affair with yarn. I thoroughly enjoyed my chat with Anne Jones and look forward to capturing the stories of other yarn lovers in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment