Monday, August 17, 2009

Yarn. It's all about yarn!


Yesterday, I saw the movie "Julie and Julia," and it made me think about how to connect my love of writing with something else that I have become very passionate about - yarn! In the film, a modern day woman decides to blog for a year about making the 500+ recipes from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." That movie was very inspiring to me.

I've also been listening to "The Martha Rules: 10 Essentials for Achieving Success As You Start or Manage a Business," by Martha Stewart - someone else who is an absolute inspiration to me. Those who know me well know that Martha and her team always provide me with inspiration - particularly when it comes to communication, marketing, promotions, etc.

This morning, the epiphany arrived. I took pen to notebook and scribbled pages of notes - a wide variety of ideas to bring this blog to life - an editorial focus with unlimited possibility - a focus on yarn.

I'll focus on three specific content areas:

Learn: Fundamentals of yarn, yarn making, finding the right yarn for your project, etc.

Be inspired: Interviews with other yarn lovers (spinners, dyers, LYS owners and other folks who are crazy about yarn like me), yarn reviews and analyses, creative ideas and inspiration.

Experience: Stepping out into the yarn/fiber arts community (reflections, updates and reviews on shows, festivals, knit-ups, workshops, gatherings, etc.).

I'm also working on an integrated communication strategy that editorially links the exciting and interesting content you'll discover at Brian Knits! - The Blog with my Twitter page, Ravelry profile and other social media outlets.

This is just the beginning, friends! I've also added podcasts and books to the longer-term plan - but having an editorial focus for my blog is very exciting to me - and I hope to you as well!

Brian Knits! - The Blog will serve as a definitive reference point for anyone interested in learning more about yarn in its myriad forms - what it is and how it is made - and find inspiration to take yarn and create something beautiful for themselves or others.

I want this blog and my other media platforms to be a creative oasis where visitors can find useful information and creative inspiration. I also want my projects to reflect an inclusive philosophy of fiber arts - offering insight and ideas for an audience of men and women of all ages, backgrounds and experiences, knowing that playing with yarn can be fun for ANYONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment