Sunday, August 23, 2009

Boss tweed, man!


I have made some wonderful discoveries about the tweed wool I'm using in a Harris Tweed stitch patterned scarf.

This chunkier stitch, coupled with a larger needle size (I'm using size 9 birchwood needles by Brittany), has created a piece that appears to be knitting up rather quickly.

I started this last Thursday evening and am about 2/3 through my first of two skeins of this Donegal Tweed Homespun, made in the republic of Ireland for Tahki Stacy Charles, Inc.

While traveling on business this past June, I happened upon this beautiful tweed in a fiber oasis nestled in the charming Castro neighborhood of San Francisco. ImagiKnit was almost overwhelming because of its size (rather large compared to what I was accustomed to) and also the massive range of offerings.

Back to the scarf...what I'm also enjoying about the scarf is the texture this stitch pattern and needle collaboration has yielded.

I have also discovered, as the scarf progresses, that it is a reversible pattern - so either side looks as equally as full and luxurious.

I hope to have this completed by week's end. I purchased some beautiful cotton at Sip & Knit in Maitland, Florida yesterday, so am taking that on my New England & Canada cruise week after next. I'm already having visions of me sitting on my private stateroom verandah, looking out at the open sea, wooden needles and cotton fiber forming a beautiful hand-knit creation (with my own craftsmanship added into the mix, of course) as the world floats by! I can't wait!

Although I won't be blogging from the ship, I will be Tweeting while in ports such as Newport, Boston and Bar Harbour. I'm also spending 3 days in New York City before the cruise and look forward to visiting at least one, if not more, yarn stores there.

More on tweed later this week - and please comment on this and other posts! I really want to see what my readers think and what you might find interesting.

Happy Knitting!


No comments:

Post a Comment