Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Meditation on My Mission


Sitting in the cafe at a local Borders with two friends, knitting away on a dishcloth, while one friend knitted a baby blanket and her daughter embroidered cherry blossoms onto a gown, I looked around and in my periphery, I could see people take notice.

Not in that kind of welcoming, accepting way as if to say, "That's cool that those people are spending time working on their art, developing their craft." It was staring, more as if to say, "What's with the dude knitting?" Is it really that shocking?

The reality stared at me brazenly: people still find it odd to see a man knitting.

While I knit these days (finishing up a double seed stitch reversible scarf in Manos del Uruguay), I've been thinking more about my purpose, my mission. I have to believe there is a reason I have discovered knitting, and there have been statements or conversations over the last few months that have made me think there's a bigger reason why I have learned to knit.

How do I take my love of writing, my passion for knitting, my admiration for yarn, and my commitment to giving EVERYONE the opportunity to learn to knit and make beautiful things and put them together into a meaningful package?

This has been my meditation of late - considering the possibilities, pondering my pet peeves already experienced since my first foray into the knitting community, and figuring out how to be revolutionary.

I don't want to be known for anything mediocre - and were I to find a unique way to bring these talents and interests together, I would ensure it is with the highest of quality, greatest of commitment, and, in many cases, fearless action to make a contribution to the fiber arts in a manner that will be remembered for generations.

These are lofty thoughts, but visionary. They are a target to move toward...and so the meditation continues, knowing the answer will come to me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment