Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Yarn Store Visit: Purl SoHo, New York City


Shopping in Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood is always one of my favorite things to do each time I visit the city. During my most recent trip to New York City last week, I visited PURL, an adorable yarn oasis at 137 Sullivan Street.

As I approached PURL, the first thing that caught my attention was the front of the shop painted in Robin's Egg blue, making it a notable landmark standing out from its neighboring facades. Entering the intimate work space with floor-to-ceiling bins of beautiful artisanal yarns in every imaginable shade, I quickly smelled the delicious essence of wool.

The center of the shop has a small table with large swatches of different yarn knit up to make choosing the right yarn for one's project much easier. There are also knitted and crocheted projects on the wall around the shop. There's a small worktable in the center of the store where fiber artists gather to pursue their craft.

The staff is very knowledgeable, patient and extremely helpful. In addition to yarn and kits, they also sell really nice canvas tote bags featuring the Purl SoHo logo (I bought a few to share with friends) and offer a variety of classes throughout the year.

I bought my first two skeins of Manos del Uruguay at PURL in May 2009, and knit up a
beautiful scarf in double/reversible moss stitch. This trip, I picked up 3 skeins each of 2 different colorways in Manos del Uruguay to make 2 more scarves that I know will be absolutely beautiful.

PURL has now become a standard stop for me each time I visit New York City and I always enjoy the beautiful choices and friendly service to be found there.

No comments:

Post a Comment