Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Remembering Grandma (& Grandpa, too)


MILDRED WOOLARD
11/17/1917 - 9/05/2009

A few weeks ago, after a lengthy period of declining health, my only surviving grandmother, Mildred Woolard, passed away. Now, I don't want this post to be a downer - and honestly, it shouldn't be.

My grandma lived to be 92 years old. She had a very full and long life and left a legacy of four daughters and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I was fortunate to be in California with her and all of our family who had traveled from far and wide to celebrate her 90th birthday with her. And, I am fortunate to have many memories of the time I spent with her and my grandfather as I was growing up.

As I read her obituary, one of the lines stuck out more than others:

"Her family said she was a homemaker and enjoyed sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidering and cooking."

I remember learning when she taught me to crochet very long chains as a youth - and certainly now, I wish I would've spent more time learning crocheting and knitting from her. But regret aside, I realize now that there is a nostalgia to the experience of knitting and crocheting for me. When I enjoy these pursuits, I remember my grandmother and her love of fiber. I remember her uncanny ability to crochet beautiful, elaborate lace doilies WITHOUT a pattern. I remember her willingness to make throw pillows for my college dorm room (which I still have).

My grandfather, who passed away in 1989, played the guitar and belonged to the California Old Time Fiddlers' Association. We would spend warm summer evenings visiting friends, sitting in parlors or on porches of farm houses in California's San Joaquin Valley, as my grandpa played guitar with others who played the fiddle or piano or banjo. It was bluegrass, music that hearkened to the heritage of those assembled - those who had journeyed west from Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas in their youth to strike out on their own.

So now, when I sit in my favorite chair, knitting away and listening to bluegrass music, I get a bit sentimental, and remember those summer days with grandma and grandpa...wonderful memories that will, indeed, last my lifetime.

3 comments:

  1. so sweet. i miss my grandparents very much too. my granddaddy lived to be 96! my grandmother was more of a sewer, but at work she did spin the little pads that go in band-aids. anytime i spin, bake bread, sew on a button, make iced tea - i feel close to her. i'm glad you have something that connects you with your grandma too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. It is certainly these wonderful memories that get us through this difficult time. May God Bless your Grandma. I am certain that she is watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind sentiments. And thanks for sharing your own ways to keep the special memories alive.

    ReplyDelete