Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Nostalgia of Knitting


I've been thinking this week, in the moments I am knitting at home, that there is a nostalgic appeal to the craft.

Growing up, I would spend time during the summer with my grandparents. Originally from Missouri, my grandfather played the guitar and we would often go to farm houses of their friends or Grange Halls in Central California to listen to live country/bluegrass music. There we would find people playing guitars, fiddles, piano, etc. My grandmother was a master crocheter back then - and although I was only doing very long chains, and I am a Knitter now, I still equate yarn arts and bluegrass with those summers spent with my grandparents. I remember sitting in my chair back then, listening to their old country albums on a record player, while Grandma crocheted, and Grandpa napped. They are fond memories.

Today, my most calming, comforting moments where I feel most in my "sanctuary," I create when I'm in my chair knitting, and listening to SIRIUS Bluegrass Junction on satellite radio. The whole experience together connects me with those days that have passed, while at the same time creating new memories in this moment.

Perhaps one of the reasons why I knit is to stay connected to my family and my history. And I'm always interested in hearing why other people knit or crochet, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment