Thursday, July 30, 2009

A New Community


I have commented previously on how knitting or the fiber arts in general have the power to bring people of varied backgrounds together. The act of knitting or crocheting is common ground that helps people connect - and then, as conversation starts and ideas are exchanged, we begin to realize all of the other ways we are more similar than different.

Such was the case for me over the past couple of weeks, having met some wonderful people at one of my LYS, Sip & Knit, in Maitland, FL. Taking a Christmas Stocking class, I was introduced to Barbara, Karen and Chris - and what I love is that we are of different backgrounds, different life experiences, and yet we can talk about music of the 80s, classic films (we had an extended dialogue about "Imitation of Life" and acknowledged the campiness of "The Valley of the Dolls"). We talked about theater and we talked about BBC America and how Karen hearts "Cranford" and I just bought the DVDs. Barbara talked about the rock bands she got to know in her NYC club days. Chris lamented on family frustrations, but also laughed along with the rest of us.

The class was scheduled from 12-2 p.m. I got there early, just to settle in and catch up with everyone. We started knitting and we started talking and suddenly it's four o'clock and we all acknowledge the other responsibilities of life that will require us to leave the sanctuary of this yarn shop, the sacred work table, and the comfort of gentle people who understand and appreciate and - yes, even encourage! - our passion for yarn and for creating beautiful things.

This is the power of knitting - had I not learned to knit, and had I not ventured out to my local LYS, I may never have met these wonderful people who, very different in their own right, have made me feel like part of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment