Thursday, July 9, 2009

Knitting transcends our differences


I sat at the table with 8 women and, being more of an introvert, I did a lot more listening than lobbing in with my own view on things. What I learned, as I sat there, was that knitting really has the power to bring people together.

To look around that table there was a mix of genders, races, interests and life experiences, perspectives and politics - and yet, despite those differences, everyone was still sitting at that table, talking about different stitches, helping each other to wind yarn or measure the length of a project (while keeping the adorable and persistent shop dog from getting tangled in yarn). I, myself, have benefited from the helpful nature of those gathered, and it makes me think of the greater possibilities.

If we were able to get more people knitting, and then gather initially because of our love of knitting, we may also have the opportunity to get to know others in a way that we may never otherwise. They may differ in politics from the person sitting next to them, yet they both may be working in double moss stitch. One may live on the opposite side of town, and still we trade stories of shopping in LYSs in the cities to which we've traveled.

I think just as knitters have a responsibility to keep knitting, to hone their craft, and to share their hand knit treasures with others - I also believe knitters have a responsibility to teach others to knit, so they, too, may enjoy the beauty of community that comes along with the craft of knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment