Sunday, October 4, 2009

First Shawl Completed!


I am very excited because today I completed my first shawl. A few weeks ago, I would see a pattern like this and assume it complicated. Then, after a recent class on Increasing & Decreasing taught by the talented and inspiring Barbara Pfister Fusi at Sip & Knit, I realized that making something like this is really quite simple!

After learning the Yarn Over (yo) technique, I came across a free pattern on the Lion Brand Yarn site for an Easy Triangle Shawl. This pattern was incredibly simple - and after a few rows of repetition, I no longer needed the pattern in front of me, simply remembering to k1 and then yo, k1 at the beginning of every row.

I'm sure this could be knit in other bulkier weight, textured yarns. I had previously purchased 3 skeins of Lion Brand Yarn Homespun in "Prairie" (but it is available in a myriad of beautiful color combinations), so I used what I had in the stash and am very pleased with the results. Despite it being an acrylic/polyester blend, it's very soft and is machine washable and dryable.

This was also my first time making fringe and again, after doing it a few times, I found it to be quite easy with pre-measured strips of yarn and a crochet hook. There are a number of sites with comprehensive instructions on how to make fringe for your finished knitted and crocheted objects.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions - I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. I am in love with shawl, BC. But you know me... anything with fringe equals instant attraction. If everyone in the world took a few moments to wear something fringe-friendly, we'd all be that much more fabulous ;-)

    ReplyDelete